Continuum Energy is one of the largest providers of renewable power to corporates in the commercial and industrial segment in India. It is currently supplying renewable power to more than 100 industrial customers from diverse industries.
Continuum Wind Energy is India’s leading wind energy solutions provider and a fully integrated player in the wind energy market with three state-of-the-art manufacturing plants in Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, and Madhya Pradesh with a cumulative manufacturing capacity of 1,600 MW. Continuum Wind Energy are looking for reliable shared solution which provides a file server storage option and have a capability to integrate with their on-premises domain controller.
Current Challenge’s faced by the Customer.
- Customer having total 33 TB of data and generating up to 250 GB database data and office file per day which need to migrate to AWS cloud in an incremental way.
- Customer was facing challenges which are.
- Customer was looking for daily backup of database data and certain company files on a cloud storage.
- Their current storage platform was causing performance issues with their SQL Server database challenges backups due to the length of time to complete a backup.
- They were facing difficulty to scale and provision the servers.
- Data should be highly available, and users should be able to access file with low latency in their machines.
- Customer should be able to set domain level permission on the file share using on-premises AD credentials.
- Concerns regarding the failure of the on-premises hardware which can lead to a major data loss.
Continuum was founded in the year 2009 and is led by a professional management team with a diverse background of experience in corporate strategy, investment banking, project execution, land acquisition, electricity sales, and power evacuation.
Continuum’s current projects are located in the states of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, and Tamil Nadu.
Continuum also enjoys the support of many leading banks and financing institutions, notable among which are: State Bank of India, International Finance Corporation, Power Finance Corporation, Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency, India Infrastructure Finance Company Ltd, PTC Financial Service, India Infradebt, Tata Capital, L&T Infrastructure Finance and L&T Fincorp.
The Solution Offered
- As per and requirements mentioned above, we suggested the customer to setup Amazon FSx which will be authenticated with on-premises AD credentials.
- We have provided a hybrid solution by implementing the Site-to-Site VPN connection between the on-premises network and the AWS network.
- To setup FSx with their domain credentials for users who were outside the on-premises network, we setup an EC2 instance with OpenVPN server for 25 connected users and setup OpenVPN client in user system.
- We deployed Amazon FSx with 40 TB storage and associate with Self-Managed Microsoft AD which is the on-premises AD in Multi-AZ for high availability and kept a daily backup with a retention period of 7 days.
- We used AWS DataSync to copy the data from on-premises file share to AWS FSx.
- Customer was provided with a solution which leverages folder-based permission/group policy to users by integrating with on-premises Active Directory.
- By looking to data security, we configured the VPC endpoint so that the data will be travel through private link.
- The SQL backups are written directly to Amazon FSx, which provides an SMB mount for its SQL servers.
- We have successfully performed a drill operation for data restoration to check RTO and RPO as well as integrity of the data is being restored.
- We have enabled monitoring services like CloudWatch for checking the free storage capacity and configured alerts to intimate to the customer.
Project End Date: 04/09/2020
Project Start Date: 12/08/2020
Amazon Web Services Infrastructural Services Used
- Identity Access Management
- Key Management Services
- Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) for Open VPN Server
- Amazon FSx
- Site-to-Site VPN
- Permission – Seamless synchronization of file data and file permissions.
- High Performance – Resolved their latency performance challenges by having direct connectivity to the FSx network.
- Maintenance and cost – No need to manage infrastructure or spend additional data center costs on hardware, electricity, and building expertise to maintain it. The customer is only priced for the space which is utilized and not for the space which is provisioned.
- Scalability – No limitation on the storage size constraint, can increase the size according to the business need.
About Pentagon System and Services Pvt Ltd
Pentagon System and Services Pvt Ltd, is a leading Infrastructure service provider and System Integrator with presence across India and Singapore.
Established more than two decades ago, we cater to over 1200+ Enterprises and SMEs with highly experienced teams for sales, consultants and a vast pool of skilled engineers supporting their mission critical environments which covers multi-vendor, multi-platform infrastructure.
We are an advanced tier Consulting Partners with Amazon Web Services and are also a certified Solution Provider. We server more than 100 plus customers across segment and vertical with our expertise on cloud platform.
Solution Architectural Diagram.
Corporate Office address
HQ - Mumbai
501, Pramukh Plaza, Cardinal Gracious Marg,
Chakala, Andheri (E), Mumbai - 400 099.
+91 22 67417500