In a thriving global business, it is imperative for organizations to have high-speed data access and predict real-time insights. This is why many organizations use SAP HANA – A multifaceted database platform with unique in-memory architecture, designed to work best on hardware that delivers high levels of memory bandwidth, multithreading, and real-time data in a short time. But to make the most out of the SAP HANA, organizations need to deploy it on a platform that can provide unmatched flexibility, resiliency, and industry-leading performance to integrate new workloads into existing resources and operations. This is where IBM Power Systems enters and becomes the ideal platform to meet the unique requirements of SAP HANA.
With SAP HANA on IBM Power Systems, organizations can now move their mission-critical workloads to a single hardware platform, simplify their IT infrastructure, decrease the total cost of ownership, and maximize the benefits of SAP HANA.
Why IBM Power Systems?
IBM Power Systems™ provides market-leading capabilities such as flexibility, resiliency, and performance, making it a versatile integration platform for multiple SAP HANA databases, traditional SAP applications, and other workloads. By deploying SAP HANA® on IBM Power Systems, businesses will have faster transactions, better data management, openness, and innovation.
IBM Power Systems is the ideal platform to run SAP HANA for the following reasons:
1. Flexibility: With SAP HANA on IBM Power Systems, customers have the flexibility to deploy on a wide range of IBM POWER8®-based servers, combined with a variety of storage options.
2. Efficient handling of mission-critical workloads: Customers can now migrate their mission-critical workloads to their existing IBM Power Systems infrastructure with greater reliability, availability, and serviceability (RAS).
3. Scale affordably: With a scaled-up architecture and built-in virtualization capabilities, IBM Power Systems reduces the need to maintain dedicated redundant hardware systems for failover.
4. Faster Provisioning: By deploying SAP HANA® on IBM Power Systems, organizations can add resources to the SAP HANA platform, based on changing customer needs and business demands.
5. Reduced downtime: SAP HANA on IBM Power Systems enables organizations to deliver over 99.999% availability and bring unplanned and planned infrastructure downtime to near zero.
6. Cost-effective platform: IBM Power Systems provides a cost-effective solution for SAP HANA. IBM commissioned Forrester Consulting to find out what economic benefits a hypothetical organization would realize. Below is a quick summary of IBM Power Systems’ total economic impact for SAP HANA:
- 36% of cost reduction in system downtime
- 11% of cost reduction in managing and maintaining infrastructure
- 4% of cost reduction in power and cooling
- Avoided 49% cost in alternate server architecture
The complete study shows a significant return on investment (ROI) of 137% with a payback of 7 months.
Finally, organizations running SAP HANA on IBM Power Systems can take advantage of the excellent speed and throughput of IBM Power 8 CPUs. Its eight-core simultaneous multithreading (SMT-8), and 4 times the memory bandwidth, make IBM Power Systems an ideal platform for SAP HANA.
With the flexibility to meet current and future demands of SAP HANA requirements, resiliency with 99.99% uptime, and industry-leading performance, no other hardware platform is as well suited for SAP HANA workloads as IBM Power Systems.